The main functions of the H.P. State Seed & Organic Produce Certification Agency are as under:
- To act as the Certification Agency established under section 8 of the Seeds Act, 1966 (54 of 1966).
- To discharge the functions entrusted to the Certification Agency under Section 9 & 10 of the Seeds Act, 1966 (54 of 1966).
- Diffusion of scientific knowledge regarding standardization of seeds according to the National / International Standards.
- To recognize varieties and kinds, (where improved varieties are not available) eligible for seed certification and publish annually lists indicting the name of such varieties and kinds.
- To maintain a list of source of breeder and foundation seeds approved by the Central Seed Certification Board in the case of varieties grown in more than one state and by the State Certification Board in the case of varieties of local importance.
- To verify upon receipt of an application for certification that the application has been submitted in accordance with the procedure prescribed by the Central Seed Certification Board and that the source of seed, used for planting, is from approved sources.
- To do the inspections of seed processing plant and seed lots in accordance with the procedure outlined by the Central Seed Certification Board.
- To ensure that the seeds certified in the state conform to the standards prescribed by the Central Seed Certification Board.
- To carry out educational programmes designed to promote the use of certified seed.
- To undertake promotional activities for seed certification in the state.
- To establish coordination with different departments of the State Government, Central Government and other Agencies with regard to the certified seed production.